Thursday, November 5, 2009

Tennessee dish with a Scottish twist .....can I find cornmeal in Jedburgh?

I'm trying to get a Tennessee dish with a Scottish twist, by looking at recipes on line and in books and adapting my experience of Texan/southern cooking from years ago - all because of the music of McIntosh Ross!
Tennessee is the centre of the southern states of America – bordered by, amongst others - Kentucky; Mississippi and Alabama. The influences of Creole and Cajun are omnipresent, as are the indigenous ingredients such as corn (sweetcorn), and cornmeal plus styles of cooking such as Barbeque.

As the Home of Elvis it may not have the best name in sophisticated cuisine, but has a great music heritage.

Research is showing up family favourites such as Spoonbread (made with cornmeal and I think is not bread as we know it, more like a soufflé); Corn fritters; Collard greens; Barbeque Pork all finished off with Pecan Pie.

I'll give those recipes a go over the weekend after my food shopping trip to Jedburgh farmers market tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment